The Pelican Golf Club is seeking an experienced Executive Pastry Chef to lead the pastry operation.
Manages and coordinates all activities for the Pastry Cooks engaged in the preparation of desserts, pastries, confections, and ice cream all made in house from scratch production. Oversees all pastry food service within the Club and its 2 restaurants. Ensures that the quality of pastry is up to Pelican standards and ensures all of the needs of the members are being met and the facilities are maintained properly. Hires, trains, and develops the Pastry Cooks.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactory. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned as the club evolves.
- Plans production for pastry department according to menus and/or special requirements.
- Supplies recipes for, and suggests methods and procedures to pastry cooks and oversees employee skill development.
- Fashions table and pastry decorations, such as statuaries and ornaments, from sugar paste and icings.
- Monitors staff hours and production to ensure adequate staffing, controls costs and maintains production records.
- Checks daily functions and ensures that all items are ordered, accounted for and produced on schedule. Coordinates future functions and events with the Executive Chef and other staff members.
- Maintains high levels of sanitary codes set forth by Federal, State and Local agencies as well as Pelican.
- Secures continuous feedback from Restaurant Managers, members and owners as to members satisfaction regarding bakery items.
- Seeks continual improvement to products to affect cost efficiencies without reduction in quality.
- Develops tests and implements new products and ensures quality control of all bakery items. Checks restaurant outlets on a daily basis to ensure pars and consistency of club products.
- Creates special desserts and recipes. May create certain desserts using alcoholic beverages as an ingredient which may require sampling (a small portion of an item) to determine if the dessert is prepared and tastes appropriately.
- May have to taste (taste is defined as sampling a small portion of an item) a member’s food item which contains alcohol as an ingredient in response to a member complaint regarding the dessert item.
- Controls ordering and purchasing of all bakery supplies and goods.
- Manages staff responsibilities including interviewing, hiring, training, coaching and counseling.
- Communicates with members, co-workers, management in a courteous and respectful professional manner.
- Conforms with and abides by all regulations, policies, work procedures and instructions.
- Exhibits and maintains a professional demeanor to reflect a positive image of Pelican.
- Performs other duties as assigned by the Executive Chef.
Directly supervises two-three employees in the Bakery. Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization’s policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, firing, training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
The employee must regularly lift and /or move up to 10 pounds, frequently lift and/or move up to 30 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision and peripheral vision. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; talk or hear and taste or smell. The employee is occasionally required to sit; climb or balance and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently exposed to wet or humid conditions (non-weather); work near moving mechanical parts; extreme cold (non-weather); extreme heat (non-weather) and vibration. The employee is occasionally exposed to work in high, precarious places and fumes or airborne particles.
Please send a professional resume and portfolio with interest. Good base salary, health/dental benefits available along with vacation and PTO time.